Gabriel Hensche is an artist born in Germany. Many of my performance, moving image, and installation pieces enter a dialogue with the situation and circumstances they emerge from. These works—often located in the space where fiction and reality cannot be clearly separated—investigate contemporary belief systems through echoing, altering, and dispersing explanation models in order to explore possibilities for community and co-existence.
His work was supported and shown by several cultural organisations, amongst them: Project Anywhere (NY), B-Tour Festival (Berlin, Belgrade), artist residencies Nida Art Colony (LT), Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris (FR) Art Cube Jerusalem (IL) and Viafarini, Milan (It). He exhibited and collaborated with institutions like Kunst-Werke Berlin (DE), Akademie Schloss Solitude (DE), Württembergischer Kunstverein (DE), Sinopale (TR), Brooklyn Film Festival (US), Slamdance Film Festival (US), Manifesta 11, Cabaret der Künstler (CH).
– Sabra Festival, Soma Galeria, Curitba, BR
– Horst & Maria, Istanbul Biennale, public program, Istanbul, TR
– The Embassy, Art Cube Artists’ Studios, Jerusalem, IL
– Interview, Honeymoon in Paradise, Cité Internationale des arts Paris, FR
– Horst’s open studio, Kulturakademie Tarabya, Istanbul, TR
– Fourth Pole Edition, Cabaret der Künstler, Manifesta 11, Zurich, CH
– Der Vierte Pol, Ein Loch im Meer, Württembergischer Kunstverein, Stuttgart, DE
– The Movement, Manifestina, public space, Zurich, CH
– Totermann, public space, Stuttgart, DE
– The Fourth Pole, public space, Dead Sea, IL
– Sonata for a Lighthouse, Inter-format Symposium on time and inter-formativity, Nida Art Colony, LT
– Project Anywhere, Parsons the New School for Design, New York, US
– Wardian Case, Der Sommer in Stuttgart, Theaterhaus Stuttgart, DE
– Die Wohnung, B_tour Festival, Tel Aviv / Zürich / Berlin / Belgrade CH, DE, SRB
– No Place to Hide – Return to Sender! Kunst-Werke, Berlin, DE
– Punch, Open Mind Festival, Alte Feuerwache, Mannheim, DE
– Pillars of Creation, Tanzlokal Festival, Stuttgart, DE
– Bionic LAB for Performing Arts, Neue Töne Open, Stuttgart, DE
– Speak it’s not a conversation, Werkstatt festival, University of Music and Performing Arts, Stuttgart, DE
– Umhören I / II / III, Sankt Elisabeth, Stuttgart / University Stuttgart, DE
– Chor der Arbeit, Kreuzberg Pavillon, Kassel, DE
– I’m Not Sure, Slamdance Film Festival, Park City, US
– I’m Not Sure, Madeira Film Festival, Madeira, PRT
– I’m Not Sure, Flatpack Film Festival, Birmingham, UK
– I’m Not Sure, Brooklyn Film Festival, New York, US
2009 – 2014 Fine Arts program, Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design (class of Christian Jankowski. Further teachers: Ulf Aminde, Felix Ensslin, Rainer Ganahl, Gregor Schneider and Mike Bouchet)
2010 – 2011 research in Syria and Egypt
2011 – 2012 Studies in musical composition, visiting student, Stuttgart State University of Music and Performing Arts
2014 State examination in German literature and linguistics, Stuttgart University
2014 – 2015 MFA program, exchange student, Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design, Tel Aviv/Jerusalem
2016 Diploma in Fine Arts, Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design
2018 Residency, Viafarini, Milan
2018 Travel and project grant, AG Kurzfilm
2017 Step travel grant, European Cultural Foundation
2017 Publication grant, Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst
2017 Residency, LowRes, Art Cube, Jerusalem
2016 / 17 Residency, Cité Internationale des Arts Paris
2016 Project grant, Netzwerk Neue Musik, Baden-Württemberg Foundation
2015 Project grant, S-K-A-M, state capital Stuttgart
2015 Project grant, Nida Art Colony
2014 Study Abroad Scholarship, Heinrich Böll Foundation
2014 Project grant, Musik der Jahrhunderte e.V. Stuttgart
2014 Residency, Techno-Ecologies, Nida Art Colony
2013 Prize, Open Mind, Kreativitäts- und Innovationsring des Landes
2011 Prize of the State Academy of Art and Design, Stuttgart
2010 Study Abroad Scholarship, Heinrich Böll Foundation
2009 – 2016 Fully-funded Degree Studentship, Heinrich Böll Foundation
Teaching/other professional activities
– From 2010-2014 I worked on topics concerning art and politics with an interdisciplinary working group, financed by the Heinrich Böll Foundation.
– I am co-founder of the concert format UMHÖREN (2012), a field of experimentation between visual art and music.
– I am co-founder of the art ensemble PUNCH & JUDY, which won the jury prize at the Open Mind Festival in Mannheim 2013.
– From 2012-2014 I was in charge of the art mediation program of the Kunstmuseum Stuttgart (Museum of Contemporary Art).
– In 2016 I was actively involved in MANIFESTINA, a movement investigating formats of demonstrations, initiated by Maurizio Cattelan.
– In 2017 & 2018 I was leading workshops for art students from the Academy of Applied Arts Rijeka (HR) and Academy of Arts Novi Sad (SRB).
– Since 2017 I’m working part-time at Stuttgart State University of Music and Performing Arts for CAMPUS GEGENWART, a platform for collaborative and transdisciplinary practice.
– sundance, slamdance 2018, archpaper (review)
– Interview, Formcontent (my own writing)
– Journey to Liminal Dome in the Context of Techno Ecologies (review)
– Liminal Dome, Project Anywhere (catalog)
– Liminal Dome, Nida Art Colony (catalog)
– Words & Sounds, Revolver Publishing (catalog)
– Manifestina (online publication)
– Liminal Dome (online publication)
– Casual Friday, Chronicles of Work, Akademie Schloss Solitude (online publication)
– Tag des Zorns, Copternetz (my own writing)
– Horst & Maria, Walther Koenig (collaborative artist book)